|Browse by Subject / Genre
Artist: Jose De La Barra|
published in Art Bussines News, “Emergent Artist”, September, 2001.USA - |
Born on 6th August 1956 in Peru. He has created a dream-like world through his expressing the internal and external fantasies of his imagination with his precise talents in painting and drawing. The expressions and the sensual movements that appear in each piece, create mystic allegorias about the universe. By combining his interest in the human form with his desire for symbolic content, he has engendered a language that explains the human condition through a unique perspective. There is a method through which he develops his art relying on material and composition to develop his personal, magical universe. De la Barra considers himself a Surrealist, one who plays and exaggerates reality as perceived in this subjetive world. He attended the Fine Arts Autonomous Superior School in Lima, Peru, where he studied Painting, Ilustration, and Murals, combining this academic training whith innate tendencies toward abstraction, he developed a figurative style that was immediattely well received and noted for its innovation. De la Barra, reputation is well pronounced throughout South America, and has lead to a long career history of eminent exhibitions and Awards. His reputation has sent his work all over Europe and North America where he is recognized as one of the most innovative artists of his generation.
Prizes and distinctions:
- First prize , Mural (Bellas Artes) Lima Peru (1985).
- Prize: “International Art Contest-1998”, Soho, New York (1999). by Agora Gallery-Artmine.com
- "The Best of 123 SOHO 2006 New York Award", By 123Soho Gallery.
- Prize "HUMAN FIGURE", Guild Art Org., Miami Florida, 2007.
Contents received from:
- Central Ricerche e Divulgazione Culturale Center, Itatly (1989).
- Peru Consulate, Iquique,Chile (1991).
- Visual image, UNICEF, New York (1994).
- USA Embassy, Lima (1995).
- Cancer Institute, Lima, (1998).
- “Art 2000”, for Jain Marunouchi Gallery, New York (1999)
- “Art Crowd Magazine”, New York (1999)
Art Gallery 715: “Floral”, (1990), Peru.
Art Gallery 715: “Musical”, (1991), Peru.
Armonia Gallery : “Natural”, (1992), Peru.
Art Gallery 715: “Floral”, (1993), Peru.
Art Gallery 715 : “Landscapes”, (1994), Peru.
Art Gallery 715: “Musicos Andinos”, (1996), Peru.
Art Gallery 715: “Sounds”, (1998), Peru.
Art Gallery American Development Bank: “Interiours”, (1999), Washington,USA.
Agora Gallery: “Fantasy Figures”, (1999), Soho New York, USA
River Bank Gallery: “Faces”, (2002), New York, USA
International Art Fair-05, by Artana Gallery, Holland. 2005
Period Gallery, "Color", Omaha, USA. 2005.
Qbix Art Gallery, "Fantasy Arts",Philadelphia USA,2007.